I. Declaration of independence cyberspace
- explore the idea of “anarchy”
- cyberspace is a world for mind not body
Cyberspace consists of transactions, relationships, and thought itself, arrayed like a standing wave in the web of our communications. Ours is a world that is both everywhere and nowhere, but it is not where bodies live.
- regardless of the physical limitation, cyberspace would be the true land of freedom for a limit time until governmental regulations catch up
II. Amusing ourselves to death
- form of media changes people’s behavior and impacts choice making process. Even for presidential election where clearly intelligence is far more important than image, however, as tv become more and more popular, image of a candidate become a factor in choice making process.
- the author draws on the ideas of media scholar Marshall McLuhan — altering McLuhan’s aphorism “the medium is the message”, to “the medium is the metaphor”
- he describes how each medium is appropriate for different kind of knowledge and projects.
- we will be limited by the media. This year’s presidential election is a great example of how much people’s views are limited by their media of choice.